Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

American Civilian Contractor killed, three wounded in Green on Blue

Rueters

while three other U.S. citizens and one Afghan were wounded, police spokesman Wali Mohammad said on Sunday.

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) – Two Americans and three Afghan soldiers died in a firefight that may have involved insurgent forces, the International Security Assistance Force said Sunday.

One of the U.S. deaths was a soldier; the other, a civilian, U.S. officials said.

NATO soldier, civilian contractor killed by Afghan soldier

A NATO soldier, a NATO civilian contractor and several Afghan soldiers were killed by an Afghan soldier on Saturday in eastern Afghanistan, the latest in growing number of the so-called “green-on-blue” insider attacks in the country, the NATO said Sunday.

“An International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service member and an ISAF civilian contractor died following a suspected insider attack in eastern Afghanistan yesterday,” the NATO-led coalition or ISAF said in a statement.

“It is also known that there were Afghan National Army (ANA) casualties,” it said, adding “a joint ANA and ISAF assessment is underway.”

The brief statement did not disclose the nationalities of the victims and the exact place of the incident under ISAF policy.

Troops mainly from U.S. have been stationed within the 100,000 strong NATO-led ISAF forces in eastern Afghan provinces.

Please read the entire article here at China.org

September 30, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties | , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Afghan in army uniform kills NATO soldiers

BY DION NISSENBAUM AND ZIAULHAQ SULTANI  WSJ Update

KABUL, Afghanistan—An Afghan soldier opened fire on Western forces in southern Afghanistan on Monday, killing two British troops at the gate of their base in the capital of Helmand province, Afghan and coalition officials said.

Hours later, a man believed to be a member of the Afghan Local Police opened fire on coalition forces as they approached a checkpoint in eastern Afghanistan, killing one, according to coalition officials.

 

Al Jazeera March 26, 2012

A gunman in an Afghan army uniform has killed two NATO soldiers at a base in southern Afghanistan, NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has said.

Monday’s late morning attack in the capital of southern Helmand province took place at the main entrance to a base
housing military and civilian reconstruction teams, the provincial governor’s office said in a statement.

Afghan and Western security sources identified the two NATO soldiers as British troops. An Afghan soldier was also shot dead and one Briton was wounded in the attack according to a Western security source speaking on condition of anonymity to the AFP news agency.

Please see the original and read more here

March 26, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , | Leave a comment

New case of Afghan killing U.S. Marine

Associated Press  March 18, 2012

WASHINGTON — The Marine Corps has disclosed another case of Afghan troops turning their guns on an American.

They say an Afghan soldier shot and killeda 22-year-old Marine at an outpost in southwestern Afghanistan last month.

This is a previously undisclosed case of apparent Afghan treachery, and marks at least the seventh killing of an American military member by his supposed ally in the past six weeks.

Lance Cpl. Edward J. Dycus of Greenville, Miss., was shot in the head Feb. 1 while standing guard at an Afghan-U.S. base.

The exact circumstances have not been disclosed, but the Dycus family has been told that he was killed by an Afghan soldier. Marine officials discussed the matter on condition of anonymity because it is under investigation.

Please see the original and read more here

March 18, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Friendly Fire, ISAF | , , , | Leave a comment

Gunmen kill 2 NATO troops in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON, March 1 (Reuters) -

The two NATO troops shot and killed in Afghanistan by two Afghans on Thursday were Americans, said a U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity

AP at Navy Times  March 1, 2012

KABUL, Afghanistan — Gunmen, including one believed to be an Afghan soldier, killed two NATO troops Thursday in southern Afghanistan, just hours after the top NATO commander in the country allowed some foreign advisers to return to work at government ministries.

The shootings were the latest in a series of attacks by Afghan security forces — or militants disguised in their uniforms — against Americans and other members of the international alliance. Six NATO service members have been killed in this way in less than two weeks as tensions rise over the burning of Qurans at a U.S. military base

March 1, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , , | Leave a comment

Three British servicemen killed by Afghan soldiers

BBC News Tuesday, 13 July 2010 14:19 UK

Three British soldiers have been killed and four injured by a rogue Afghan soldier in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence said.

The men, from 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles, were on duty on Tuesday morning in Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand province, when the Afghan opened fire.

One of the dead is believed to be a Nepalese Gurkha and the other two were described as UK nationals.

An investigation is under way and next of kin are being informed.

There is a helpline number in the UK for concerned relatives – 08457 800900.

‘Despicable and cowardly’

The number of British military personnel killed on operations in Afghanistan since 2001 stands at 317.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox denounced what he called a “despicable and cowardly act”.

He said: “My thoughts go out to the family and friends of those who have lost their lives. This incident will be thoroughly investigated by ISAF and the Afghan security forces, and we will do everything we can to bring the individual responsible to justice.”

The defence secretary added that training and developing the Afghan National Security Forces is “vital to the international mission in Afghanistan”, stressing that “British and ISAF forces are working shoulder to shoulder with Afghans and will continue to do so undeterred”.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has apologised to the UK after the incident and a defence ministry spokesman said a soldier from the Afghan National Army (ANA) was being sought.

President Karzai’s spokesman, Waheed Omar, said the Afghanistan government was also investigating the killings.

If the incident is confirmed, he said, the government will “do everything to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice”.

The BBC understands that one of the soldiers killed was shot. It is understood that other two were killed when fired at by a rocket propelled grenade.

The spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel James Carr-Smith, said: “We believe these were the actions of a lone individual who has betrayed his Isaf and Afghan comrades.

“His whereabouts are currently unknown but we are making strenuous efforts to find him. He should know that his actions will not deter us from our task and we will continue to work closely with our Afghan friends to bring security to Helmand.

“Three courageous and dedicated soldiers have made the ultimate sacrifice. They will be greatly missed and their actions will not be forgotten. We will remember them.”

July 13, 2010 Posted by | Afghanistan, NATO | , , , | Leave a comment

   

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 398 other followers