Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

R Norman Moody Florida Today  February 2, 2012

PATRICK AIR FORCE BASE — Aviators at Brevard County’s beachside base are honing skills they will take to Afghanistan as part of efforts to build that country’s air force well ahead of the anticipated withdrawal of U.S. forces in 2014.

“We were really happy when the Air Force said, ‘Can we use your guys?’ ” said Paul O’Sullivan Jr., deputy director of the Department of State Air Wing at Patrick Air Force Base. “We’re happy to be able to help them.”

When word came about the need to train pilots on the Italian-made C-27 twin engine cargo planes, the Department of State Air Wing became a natural partner. The Air Wing, along with its main contractor, DynCorp International, and the Air Force are working together to help strengthen the Afghan air force.

“Our guys here will train the trainers in Afghanistan,” said Eric Huppert, DynCorp’s C-27 program manager. “It’s basically (to) teach them to fish.”

The plan is to have enough Afghan trainers in place when American forces withdraw from the country

Please read more here

February 2, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, DynCorp, Private Military Contractors, State Department | , , , , , | Leave a comment

Look Out, 4-Star General Coming Through…the Revolving Door

Nick Schwellenbach Time’s Battleland Blog  February 2, 2012

On Friday last week, Raytheon, a major defense contractor, announced it scored a four-star general! Marine Corps Gen. (Ret.) James E. Cartwright, the recently departed vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, joined the defense giant’s board of directors.

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson said in a written statement, ”General Cartwright’s deep understanding of defense and broad experience in military operations and matters of national security will be of great value to our Board.” I’m sure Cartwright will be.

The Boston Globe’s Bryan Bender penned an in-depth article on generals and admirals going through the revolving door in late 2010. Bender quoted retired General Robert “Doc’’ Foglesong, who retired as the second-ranking Air Force officer in 2006, who said the “fundamental question” swirling around the phenomenon of generals going through the revolving door “is whether this is shaping the acquisition system and influencing what the Pentagon buys. I think the answer is yes.’’

On the civilian side, the revolving door is also rampant, raising many of the same questions. Take for instance, the recent announcement that the Pentagon’s former number two official, William J. Lynn III, is going to head DRS Technologies, the U.S. subsidiary of Finmeccanica, an Italian company. This isn’t Lynn’s first spin through the revolving door: he was formerly the Pentagon’s comptroller under the Clinton presidency, then left to head Raytheon’s lobbying operations in D.C., before becoming the Deputy Secretary of Defense.

Please see the original and read more at the Battleland Blog

February 2, 2012 Posted by | Civilian Contractors, Contractor Oversight, Department of Defense | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Who Teaches SEAL Team 6 How To Fight?

Mark Thompson at Times Battleland Blog  February 2, 2012

The guys who got Osama bin Laden need boxing lessons. According to a contract solicitation issued Wednesday, the Naval Special Warfare Development Group – that’s SEAL Team 6, to us civilians – wants former special-forces types and other flying fists to school them in “combative training.”

Who’d have thunk the gang that got bin Laden would have to go outside their own tight circle to study pugilism? “Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG) personnel conduct advanced research and development of tactics for use by Naval Special Warfare Forces,” it reads. “In order to successfully conduct this mission, they must be trained and prepared to conduct a diverse range of combat skills.”

You can get aches just by reading: here

February 2, 2012 Posted by | Civilian Contractors, Private Military Contractors | , , , | Leave a comment

The Use of Afghan Nationals to Provide Security to U.S. Forces

“So it was with the attacker at FOB Frontenac. In July 2010 at another forward operating base, his employer, Tundra Security, fired him for allegedly making statements about killing U.S. personnel and recommended that he not be rehired. The contractor’s chain of command did not enter that recommendation into the attacker’s file, and the attacker was rehired by the same contractor in 2011, just before the attack at Frontenac.

Chairman Buck McKeon Statement   February 1, 2012

“In September last year, this committee explored the issue of attacks by members of the Afghan National Security Forces on U.S. and coalition personnel. The witnesses concluded that DOD had “mitigated the risk about to the degree we can,” in “these few occasions” when such attacks have occurred.

Since then, the committee staff has continued to look into the factors behind attacks by Afghan nationals on coalition forces, including attacks conducted by Afghans hired by private security contractors to protect U.S. bases. The staff has used the attack in March 2011 at Forward Operating Base Frontenac as a case study to better understand the range of issues. In that attack, two soldiers died, including my constituent, Specialist Rudy Acosta, and four were wounded. I would like to note that Specialist Acosta’s father and mother, Dante and Carolyn Acosta, are with us today.

“Private security contractors are used in Afghanistan to provide personal protective services for Department of State personnel and dignitaries, to guard construction sites, to ensure safe movement for other private companies doing business in Afghanistan, for guarding supply convoys, and to augment coalition forces by providing base security. In the case of base security, the Commander in Chief is responsible for determining the size of the U.S. force deployed to Afghanistan, the missions that force will undertake, and the necessary contractor support. For different reasons, both President Bush and President Obama have chosen to limit the size of the U.S. force and to use private security contractors to enhance base security. In contrast, it is Congress’ role, and the purpose of today’s hearing, to assess the advisability of these policies and whether the Administration needs to change its approach.

“Complicating matters further, President Karzai has dictated that only Afghan nationals may be certified for employment as private security guards and has not permitted U.S. citizen contractors. Karzai has also ordered the private security contractors to be disbanded. The Afghan Ministry of Interior will assume full responsibility for providing the Afghan Personal Protection Force (APPF), a new organization that from March 2012 onward, with a few exceptions, will replace private security contractors. The APPF will be available on a fee-for-service basis to coalition forces to perform the services I just described.

Please read the entire statement here

February 2, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Oversight, Private Security Contractor, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , , | Leave a comment