Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

Furore over Sudan shooting

The Star February 23, 2012

THE three Kenyans who were shot and injured when going to work in South Sudan are recuperating at the Mount Elgon Hospital as Kitale residents accuse their Asian employer of failing to provide them with security. George Omanga, Richard Wanyama and Wilson Mabonga survived the shooting in which Enock Wanjala, Morris Simiyu and Eric Barasa were killed. Their relatives have also accused the employer of failing to pay Sh300,000 burial expenses as he promised.

The spokesperson of the three families which lost their loved ones Ronald Nalianya said there was an agreement between the families and the businessman to provide sh.300,000 for the expenses. “We are however disappointed that the contractor later refused to talk about the pledge and we are therefore stranded “he said. He said each family would receive sh.100, 000 if the businessman would have honored the pledge to assist them meet the expenses.

Meanwhile, Kitale residents led by Kiminini parliamentary aspirant Chriss Wamalwa have demanded that the government provide security of Kenyans living in Sudan. A group of 25 Kenyans from Trans-Nzoia had been recruiting by an Asian businessman to work at a construction site at Kapoeta County in South Sudan. 11 of the group were dropped at a construction site at Narus town while the rest extended to jukudum 300km away.

The businessman secured construction work to put up government offices in Narus and jukudum towns. Those who died were Enock Wanjala, Morris Simiyu and Eric Barasa and their bodies underwent post-mortem yesterday. The injured Kenyans and the three bodies ferried on open truck arrived in Kitale on Sunday to an emotional reception from relatives and leaders. Gorge Omanga one of the wounded said at the hospital that they were attacked by seven armed with assault rifles. Wilson Mabonga, a survivor said they were driving in a Pick Up from Narus to Jukudum when seven men emerged from a bush and started firing at them

Please see the original and read more here

February 23, 2012 - Posted by | Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties | , , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: