Inside Moyock’s ACADEMI training center
WAVY March 1, 2012
MOYOCK, N.C. It’s new name is ACADEMI . However, many know it as the company formally called Blackwater USA.
ACADEMI’s new owner wants to portray the company in a different light. In a direction, they claim, of more transparency.
For the first time since the change of command, only 10 On Your Side was invited behind the gates of the ACADEMI training center in Moyock, North Carolina.
At first glance the vast land is quiet and serene.
There’s a meditation garden with a short path winding around a simple pond. At the garden’s entrance stands a child embracing the American flag. The silent symbolism is powerful.
Mixed within the beautiful landscape are occasional bursts of gunfire. You also hear the squeal of car tires. Both are a reminder it’s work as usual during WAVY.com’s visit.
On the track, head driving instructor Craig Stephens explained the importance of driving techniques. “I can use this car to save my life. And that’s what I basically train the guys here for,” Stephens said.
The property consists of 7,000 acres sprawled across the border of North Carolina’s Camden and Currituck counties. Parts of it looks like a giant playground, a ropes course with a zip line and slide. There’s also a track where high speed turns are perfected.
Every facility serves a specific purpose, often rooted in some past tragedy. There’s a mock town with a church and high school, which was built to train for and respond to massacres like Columbine and Virginia Tech.
The ACADEMI contractors are mostly former members of the military and police force. They venture into conflict zones to protect American dignitaries. Their biggest client is the U.S. State Department
No comments yet.
Overseas Civilian Contractors
THE BEST KEPT SECRET OF THE WARS
for negligence after stepping on a landmine resulting in an immediate below the knee amputation in an area previously cleared by and certified clear of landmines by Ronco Consulting.
The United Nations board of inquiry found that Ronco failed to find the mine that injured Mr Fartham as well as three other mines.
The complaint states that Ronco Consulting, acting through it’s agents and/or employee’s, breached it’s professional duty of care to Fantham and did not exercise the reasonable care and skill expected of professional mine clearance companies.
Ex Pat 2011 Tax Information UPDATED
We coordinate with the
in order to provide more comprehensive coverage of issues effecting both injured contractors and those still in the field.
Visit our websites
Contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our Memorial to Civilian Contractor Casualties
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- Mental Health and Private Military Contractors
- Overseas Civilian Contractors
- Did Wikileaks Reveal a Poisoned Beer Plot?
- Civilian Contractor Glen Doherty, former Navy SEAL, ID’d as one of four victims in Libya U.S. Consulate attack
- Navy Seal Found Not Guilty of Assaulting a Suspected Terrorist
- Feds Hired British Security Firm to Protect Benghazi Consulate
- KBR employee recalls attack in Iraq
- Ronco Consulting settles Fantham Lawsuit before bothering to respond
- Kraig Vickers, Navy EOD, dies in SEAL TEAM Chopper Crash
- UN Declares Kabul "White" City, Highest Security Status effective immediatley
- SARS-like virus in the Middle East
- KBR: Feds Should Pay Lawsuit Damages
- Pentagon Wants to Keep Running Its Afghan Drug War From Blackwater’s HQ
- For Private Security Guards in Kabul, Hazardous Duty
- VA Beach SEAL killed in Afghanistan
- US sues contractors over troop trailers in Iraq
- A hidden cause of Benghazi tragedy
- The Bomb Plant: America’s Three A.M. Nightmare
- Warlords, Inc./How Do You Handle 70,000 Unemployed Afghan PSC? Very Carefully
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Staff Sgt Kenneth W Bennett killed in Afghanistan
- Petraeus Steps Down as C.I.A. Chief, Saying He Had Affair
- No VFA cover for dumping
- Veterans Day Poster 2012
- Virginia Beach based SEAL killed in Afghanistan
- $85 million awarded to 12 Oregon soldiers; KBR guilty of negligence, not fraud
- ‘Unsatisfactory’ Mega-Contractor, DynCorp, Re-Ups on Another Big Military Deal
- United States Sues Virginia-based Contractor Triple Canopy for False Claims Under Contract for Security in Iraq
- Wackenhut Security Guards Cheat on Recertification Exams
- SIGAR Audit 13-1 October 2012
- Overseas Contractor Count – 4th Quarter FY 2012
Search this blog
TAGSAcademi Afghanistan AIG Armed Security Guards ArmorGroup Blackwater Bomb Disposal CIA Civilian Contractor Civilian Contractors CNA Commission on Wartime Contracting Contractor Casualties Contractor Casualty Contractor Killed Contractors Danny Fitzsimons David Isenberg DBA Defense Base Act Demining Department of Defense Department of Labor DoD DynCorp EOD EOD Casualty ERW Explosive Ordnance Disposal Explosive Remnants of War G4S Halliburton IED Iraq ISAF Kabul KBR Killed L-3 Landmines Libya MsSparky NATO Overseas Foreign Workers Pakistan Pentagon Pirates Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Private Military Contractors Private Security Contractor Private Security Contractors Private Security Guards PSC's PTSD Raymond Davis Ronco Consulting SIGAR Sigir Somalia Somali Pirates State Department State Dept Taliban T Christian Miller Traumatic Brain Injury Triple Canopy UN United Nations USACE USAID US Embassy US State Department Wackenhut Wartime Contracting Xe
CategoriesAfghanistan Africa ArmorGroup Blackwater CIA Civilian Contractors Contractor Casualties Contractor Corruption Contractor Oversight Defense Base Act Demining Department of Defense DynCorp Explosive Ordnance Disposal Follow the Money Government Contractor Iraq KBR Legal Jurisdictions NATO Pakistan Pentagon Private Military Contractors Private Security Contractor Safety and Security Issues State Department Uncategorized United Nations USAID Wartime Contracting
carinaragno on Private Army Formed to Fight S… Mary on America’s Shame: The U.S. Gove… Thomas Riojas on US sues contractors over troop… Jim Thompson on Air carrier’s cause: An… wesmantoddshaw on $85 million awarded to 12 Oreg…
- Ronco Consulting sued for negligence by United Nations Mine Action Employee wp.me/pAfVW-1dP via @wordpressdotcom 2 years ago
- My comment on "Report: Contractors Sent To War Zones Often Experience PTSD" @Forbes: onforb.es/1btKK0f 2 years ago
- Latest Civilian Contractor Casualty Numbers, 55 deaths, 2,806 injuries filed on in second quarter 2013 dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 3 years ago
- American, British, Romanian, Nepalese Civilian Contractors killed in Supreme Group Compound Suicide Bombing dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 3 years ago
- Tim Eysselinck Iraq War Casualty Not Counted Nine Years ago today dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 3 years ago
- Inside Washington Rule-Making, AKA ‘The Seventh Circle of Bureaucratic Hell’ - ProPublica propublica.org/podcast/item/m… via @propublica 3 years ago
- RT @ProPublica: War contractor fined for late reports of 30 deaths: propub.ca/X5DZi5 3 years ago
- Local team launches effort to provide psychological services to military contractors | OregonLive.com blog.oregonlive.com/oregonatwar/20… 3 years ago
- RT @WestWingReport: A good database on civilian contractors who have died in Afghanistan & Iraq over the years can be reviewed here: ... 3 years ago
- RT @stevesilberman: It's official: Suicide is killing more of our troops than war. bit.ly/SHQ9P3 3 years ago
- Civilian Contractors, Ex Pats 2012 Tax Time Updates dbacomp.com/Taxes.html 3 years ago
- New Civilian Contractor Casualty numbers due out this week dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 3 years ago
- How Do You Handle 70,000 Unemployed Afghan PSC? Very Carefully huff.to/RB9AVq via @HuffPostBiz 3 years ago
- RT @MsSparkydotcom: Iraq war contractor KBR ordered to pay $85 million to Oregon soldiers p.ost.im/p/dBpkTk 3 years ago
- VA Beach US Navy SEAL Matthew G Kantor 22 killed in Afghanistan wp.me/pAfVW-240 3 years ago
- New Numbers out today Civilian Contractor Casualties wp.me/PmgbQ-1yh 3 years ago
- Documentary claims G4S was warned about killer - Middle East - World - The Independent independent.co.uk/news/world/mid… via @Independent 3 years ago
- RT @Marsh_Inc: Defense Base Act #insurance rates likely to skyrocket after expiration of single-source, flat-rate DBA program. http://t. ... 3 years ago
- Civilian Contractor, Private Security Contractor, Former US Navy SEAL killed in Libya Embassy Attack wp.me/pmgbQ-1zo 4 years ago
- Is the Department of Labor covering up for Supreme Group and why? wp.me/pmgbQ-1vW 4 years ago
Site infoOverseas Civilian Contractors
Blog at WordPress.com.