Afghan immigrant, paralyzed while working as combat translator, is reunited with family after help from lawmaker
The New York Daily News May 14, 2012
An Afghan immigrant paralyzed while working as a Navy translator has a new gig: interpreting for his wife and kids, reunited with him in Queens after a lawmaker cut through red tape.
“Before, I was always away from them,” Jamil Patkik said as his youngest son, Abdul, 5, cuddled on his lap. “Now we’ll be together forever.”
Patkik’s wife and four kids had been approved to come to New York by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services but languished for 10 months on a waiting list in Pakistan.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand got involved and convinced the U.S. Embassy in Pakistan to issue visas for Patkik’s family, who finally arrived last month.
Patkik, 33, a U.S. citizen, was desperate for them to join him in Flushing because he needs his wife’s help with daily activities.
A civilian combat translator, he was paralyzed from the waist down in a deadly 2010 Black Hawk chopper crash in Afghanistan’s Zabul province.
Nine Americans, including four SEALs with whom Patkik worked closely, died in the accident.
“I thank Mr. Patkik for his heroic service and sacrifice to our country and will continue to assist his family,” Gillibrand said.
Patkik’s wife, Naseem, who had seen him only on Skype for the last two years, is overjoyed the clan is together again. The kids started school and are learning a new language.
“I’m translating English for them,” said Patkik, smiling.
Patkik first immigrated to Queens in 2000 from Pakistan, where his family relocated during the Soviet-Afghan war.
May 14, 2012 - Posted by defensebaseactcomp | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties, Defense Base Act, Interpreters | Afghan Interpreter, Civilian Contractor, Combat Translator, Contractor Casualty
No comments yet.
Overseas Civilian Contractors
THE BEST KEPT SECRET OF THE WARS
for negligence after stepping on a landmine resulting in an immediate below the knee amputation in an area previously cleared by and certified clear of landmines by Ronco Consulting.
The United Nations board of inquiry found that Ronco failed to find the mine that injured Mr Fartham as well as three other mines.
The complaint states that Ronco Consulting, acting through it’s agents and/or employee’s, breached it’s professional duty of care to Fantham and did not exercise the reasonable care and skill expected of professional mine clearance companies.
Ex Pat 2011 Tax Information UPDATED
We coordinate with the
in order to provide more comprehensive coverage of issues effecting both injured contractors and those still in the field.
Visit our websites
Contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our Memorial to Civilian Contractor Casualties
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- KBR mandates “no more pimping, pandering or brothels” for LOGCAP employees
- Defense of Freedom Medal
- Pakistan: Names of 55 US suspects on the loose
- Mental Health and Private Military Contractors
- Overseas Civilian Contractors
- 'Do not go to Iraq' says Mark Fisher of Triple Canopy
- Another American killed by man in Afghan army uniform, Andrew Brittonmilaho Green Beret
- Marine helicopter crashes in Afghanistan killing six US personnel
- Mercenary Definition
- Oregon Veterans Suit Against KBR Can Continue
- SARS-like virus in the Middle East
- KBR: Feds Should Pay Lawsuit Damages
- Pentagon Wants to Keep Running Its Afghan Drug War From Blackwater’s HQ
- For Private Security Guards in Kabul, Hazardous Duty
- VA Beach SEAL killed in Afghanistan
- US sues contractors over troop trailers in Iraq
- A hidden cause of Benghazi tragedy
- The Bomb Plant: America’s Three A.M. Nightmare
- Warlords, Inc./How Do You Handle 70,000 Unemployed Afghan PSC? Very Carefully
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Staff Sgt Kenneth W Bennett killed in Afghanistan
- Petraeus Steps Down as C.I.A. Chief, Saying He Had Affair
- No VFA cover for dumping
- Veterans Day Poster 2012
- Virginia Beach based SEAL killed in Afghanistan
- $85 million awarded to 12 Oregon soldiers; KBR guilty of negligence, not fraud
- ‘Unsatisfactory’ Mega-Contractor, DynCorp, Re-Ups on Another Big Military Deal
- United States Sues Virginia-based Contractor Triple Canopy for False Claims Under Contract for Security in Iraq
- Wackenhut Security Guards Cheat on Recertification Exams
- SIGAR Audit 13-1 October 2012
- Overseas Contractor Count – 4th Quarter FY 2012
Search this blog
TAGSAcademi Afghanistan AIG Armed Security Guards ArmorGroup Blackwater Bomb Disposal CIA Civilian Contractor Civilian Contractors CNA Commission on Wartime Contracting Contractor Casualties Contractor Casualty Contractor Killed Contractors Danny Fitzsimons David Isenberg DBA Defense Base Act Demining Department of Defense Department of Labor DoD DynCorp EOD EOD Casualty ERW Explosive Ordnance Disposal Explosive Remnants of War G4S Halliburton IED Iraq ISAF Kabul KBR Killed L-3 Landmines Libya MsSparky NATO Overseas Foreign Workers Pakistan Pentagon Pirates Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Private Military Contractors Private Security Contractor Private Security Contractors Private Security Guards PSC's PTSD Raymond Davis Ronco Consulting SIGAR Sigir Somalia Somali Pirates State Department State Dept Taliban T Christian Miller Traumatic Brain Injury Triple Canopy UN United Nations USACE USAID US Embassy US State Department Wackenhut Wartime Contracting Xe
CategoriesAfghanistan Africa ArmorGroup Blackwater CIA Civilian Contractors Contractor Casualties Contractor Corruption Contractor Oversight Defense Base Act Demining Department of Defense DynCorp Explosive Ordnance Disposal Follow the Money Government Contractor Iraq KBR Legal Jurisdictions NATO Pakistan Pentagon Private Military Contractors Private Security Contractor Safety and Security Issues State Department Uncategorized United Nations USAID Wartime Contracting
carinaragno on Private Army Formed to Fight S… Mary on America’s Shame: The U.S. Gove… Thomas Riojas on US sues contractors over troop… Jim Thompson on Air carrier’s cause: An… wesmantoddshaw on $85 million awarded to 12 Oreg…
- Ronco Consulting sued for negligence by United Nations Mine Action Employee wp.me/pAfVW-1dP via @wordpressdotcom 3 years ago
- My comment on "Report: Contractors Sent To War Zones Often Experience PTSD" @Forbes: onforb.es/1btKK0f 3 years ago
- Latest Civilian Contractor Casualty Numbers, 55 deaths, 2,806 injuries filed on in second quarter 2013 dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 3 years ago
- American, British, Romanian, Nepalese Civilian Contractors killed in Supreme Group Compound Suicide Bombing dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 3 years ago
- Tim Eysselinck Iraq War Casualty Not Counted Nine Years ago today dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 4 years ago
- Inside Washington Rule-Making, AKA ‘The Seventh Circle of Bureaucratic Hell’ - ProPublica propublica.org/podcast/item/m… via @propublica 4 years ago
- RT @ProPublica: War contractor fined for late reports of 30 deaths: propub.ca/X5DZi5 4 years ago
- Local team launches effort to provide psychological services to military contractors | OregonLive.com blog.oregonlive.com/oregonatwar/20… 4 years ago
- RT @WestWingReport: A good database on civilian contractors who have died in Afghanistan & Iraq over the years can be reviewed here: ... 4 years ago
- RT @stevesilberman: It's official: Suicide is killing more of our troops than war. bit.ly/SHQ9P3 4 years ago
- Civilian Contractors, Ex Pats 2012 Tax Time Updates dbacomp.com/Taxes.html 4 years ago
- New Civilian Contractor Casualty numbers due out this week dbacomp.com/defensebaseact… 4 years ago
- How Do You Handle 70,000 Unemployed Afghan PSC? Very Carefully huff.to/RB9AVq via @HuffPostBiz 4 years ago
- RT @MsSparkydotcom: Iraq war contractor KBR ordered to pay $85 million to Oregon soldiers p.ost.im/p/dBpkTk 4 years ago
- VA Beach US Navy SEAL Matthew G Kantor 22 killed in Afghanistan wp.me/pAfVW-240 4 years ago
- New Numbers out today Civilian Contractor Casualties wp.me/PmgbQ-1yh 4 years ago
- Documentary claims G4S was warned about killer - Middle East - World - The Independent independent.co.uk/news/world/mid… via @Independent 4 years ago
- RT @Marsh_Inc: Defense Base Act #insurance rates likely to skyrocket after expiration of single-source, flat-rate DBA program. http://t. ... 4 years ago
- Civilian Contractor, Private Security Contractor, Former US Navy SEAL killed in Libya Embassy Attack wp.me/pmgbQ-1zo 4 years ago
- Is the Department of Labor covering up for Supreme Group and why? wp.me/pmgbQ-1vW 4 years ago
Site infoOverseas Civilian Contractors
Blog at WordPress.com.