Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

S. Lebanon deminers discover bodies of 5 Syrian army soldiers

The Daily Star April 18, 2012

BEIRUT: The corpses of five Syrian army soldiers buried during the 1982 Israeli invasion of south Lebanon have been discovered by a demining team, security sources told The Daily Star.

Members of the demining team MAX, whose work involves clearing areas of cluster bombs, discovered the bodies in a plot of land near the Jezzine-Kfar Houneh main road in south Lebanon.

The bodies, security sources said, were buried in 1982, during the second invasion of south Lebanon by the Jewish state.

The soldiers are believed to have split off from their contingent, which at the time had been stationed in the area, as a result of Israeli aerial raids.

The relevant authorities have been notified of the discovery.

April 20, 2012 Posted by | Civilian Contractors, Demining, Explosive Remnants of War, Lebanon, Mine Clearance, Syria | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Abducted deminers killed in Afghanistan

Six members of a mine removal team who were kidnapped in western Afghanistan last week are found dead.

Aljazeera July 10, 2011

Afghan officials say six members of a team removing mines in Western Farah province who were kidnapped last week have been killed.

Several bodies were recovered in Farah’s Bakwa district on Sunday, local police official Mohammad Munir the Reuters news agency.

Al Jazeera’s Bernard Smith, reporting from Kabul, said that 31 people from the Demining Agency of Afghanistan (DAFA) were reported to have been abducted in the province on July 6.

“They were extremely brutally treated,” he said. “Four of them were tied to the back of vehicles and dragged until they died.”

Two of the kidnapped men from DAFA, a non-governmental organisation based in Kandahar which focuses on landmine clearence in the southern and western Afghanistan, were released on Sunday and taken to hospital.

Police officials gave conflicting reports as to whether some of the men had been beheaded.

Abdul Baseer, a Farah provincial council member, accused the Taliban of the abductions and killings.

But Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said the men had been abducted by outlaws in Farah and the Taliban were not involved

Please see the original here

July 10, 2011 Posted by | Demining, NGO's, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , , | Leave a comment