Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

Green on Blue Three US Soldiers killed early Friday

Update

Afghan officials told Reuters news agency that the three people killed were special forces members.

The official said they were shot while attending a meeting in the Sangin district late on Thursday.

Voice of America  August 10, 2012

A man wearing an Afghan army uniform has killed three U.S. service members in southwestern Afghanistan.

NATO says the solders were killed early Friday in the Sangin district in Helmand province.

The shooting is the latest in a series of killings and attacks in which foreign troops have been attacked by Afghan soldiers or insurgents disguised in their uniforms.

NATO troops killed an Afghan solider Thursday who tried to gun down coalition service members at a military base in eastern Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, NATO says two gunmen wearing Afghan National Army uniforms killed a coalition soldier.

So far this year, there have been at least 25 so-called “green-on-blue” attacks, a reference the color of uniforms.

Please see the original here

August 10, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

British servicemen killed by Afghan police in suspected ‘green on blue’ attack

The Independent  May 13, 2012

Two British servicemen have been shot dead by Afghan police in Helmand province in a suspected ‘green on blue’ attack, the Ministry of Defence said today.

The soldiers, one from the 1st Battalion Welsh guards and the other a Royal Air Force airman, were killed in the Lashkar Gah district yesterday.

Next of kin have been informed.

A spokesman from the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) today claimed the attack was carried out by two individuals wearing Afghan national police force uniforms.

One of the attackers is thought to be still at large, and the other was killed when allied forces returned fire.

The two deceased soldiers were members of an advisory team providing security for a meeting with Afghan officials near Patrol Base Attal.

The incident would appear to be another in a series of so-called ‘green on blue’ attacks where Afghan security forces have attacked international allies.

May 13, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , , | Leave a comment

Three Foreigners Injured in NATO Convoy Suicide Bombing

Officials says some 31 others were wounded, including three foreigners — two men and a woman

Britain’s International Development ministry in London confirmed that three civilian members of the international aid team were among those injured in the blast

McClatchy Update

Three foreign civilians who were traveling in the vehicles – which belonged to a British-led provincial reconstruction team – were injured. The teams are made up of diplomats, civilian specialists and military personnel who work on development projects

AP Update Three civilian international members of the aid team – two men and one woman – were among the wounded, said Daud Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial governor. He said their injuries were not life threatening and did not know their nationalities.

Voice of America  January 26, 2012

Afghan officials say a suicide car bomber has killed four civilians in an attack on a NATO-affiliated provincial reconstruction team in southern Afghanistan.

A spokesman for the governor of Helmand province said Thursday’s attack took place in the provincial capital, Lashkar Gah.

Officials say the bomber hit a convoy of armored vehicles passing near the education department building.

A child was among those killed in the attack. Officials says some 31 others were wounded, including three foreigners — two men and a woman.

At least 17 civilian cars were damaged, some bursting into flames. NATO has declined to comment on the attack.

January 26, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Casualties, NATO, Private Security Contractor, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Bodies of 2 aid workers discovered in Afghanistan

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) The bodies of two female aid workers were discovered Sunday morning in Afghanistan’s Helmand province, a spokesman for Helmand’s governor told CNN on Tuesday.

Daud Ahmadi said one of the women was the founder of the organization Mahjoba Herawi, an Afghan non-governmental organization. Ahmadi said both were working on women-oriented projects such as jam and pasta making.

The women’s driver disappeared, and it was unclear whether robbers or the Taliban killed the women, Ahmadi said.

The deaths come after a British aid worker held hostage in eastern Afghanistan was killed by her captors during an October rescue attempt.

Linda Norgrove, 36, worked for DAI, an international humanitarian group. U.S. military officials have said investigations were underway to determine whether Norgrove was killed by a grenade thrown by American forces trying to free her.

Also in southern Afghanistan, a NATO-led service member died after an insurgent attack, NATO’s International Security Assistance Force said. The force did not identify the nationality of the service member or precisely where the incident occurred.

November 2, 2010 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, NGO's | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Three British servicemen killed by Afghan soldiers

BBC News Tuesday, 13 July 2010 14:19 UK

Three British soldiers have been killed and four injured by a rogue Afghan soldier in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence said.

The men, from 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles, were on duty on Tuesday morning in Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand province, when the Afghan opened fire.

One of the dead is believed to be a Nepalese Gurkha and the other two were described as UK nationals.

An investigation is under way and next of kin are being informed.

There is a helpline number in the UK for concerned relatives – 08457 800900.

‘Despicable and cowardly’

The number of British military personnel killed on operations in Afghanistan since 2001 stands at 317.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox denounced what he called a “despicable and cowardly act”.

He said: “My thoughts go out to the family and friends of those who have lost their lives. This incident will be thoroughly investigated by ISAF and the Afghan security forces, and we will do everything we can to bring the individual responsible to justice.”

The defence secretary added that training and developing the Afghan National Security Forces is “vital to the international mission in Afghanistan”, stressing that “British and ISAF forces are working shoulder to shoulder with Afghans and will continue to do so undeterred”.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has apologised to the UK after the incident and a defence ministry spokesman said a soldier from the Afghan National Army (ANA) was being sought.

President Karzai’s spokesman, Waheed Omar, said the Afghanistan government was also investigating the killings.

If the incident is confirmed, he said, the government will “do everything to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice”.

The BBC understands that one of the soldiers killed was shot. It is understood that other two were killed when fired at by a rocket propelled grenade.

The spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel James Carr-Smith, said: “We believe these were the actions of a lone individual who has betrayed his Isaf and Afghan comrades.

“His whereabouts are currently unknown but we are making strenuous efforts to find him. He should know that his actions will not deter us from our task and we will continue to work closely with our Afghan friends to bring security to Helmand.

“Three courageous and dedicated soldiers have made the ultimate sacrifice. They will be greatly missed and their actions will not be forgotten. We will remember them.”

July 13, 2010 Posted by | Afghanistan, NATO | , , , | Leave a comment