Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

Afghan suicide attack targets ISAF Contractors

Ten foreigners were injured and two Afghans killed when a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle full of explosives at the entrance to a compound housing international aid companies in Kandahar.

UPDATE:

Briton Injured in Deadly Carbomb attack in Afghanistan

A British man has been injured in a fatal car bomb explosion on a compound in Afghanistan, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

Three internationals and three Afghanis were killed in the explosion in Kandahar. It is understood they had been working as contractors for the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

“The nationalities of all the casualties are not yet clear but one of those injured was British. We understand his injuries were not severe and that he did not require hospital treatment,” a spokesperson for the Foreign Office said.

Early reports suggest a car bomb detonated inside a compound housing foreign contractors, killing a number of people.

A spokesperson from ISAF said ten people were injured in the blast and are currently being treated at a nearby hospital.

The Foreign Office said it was in contact with officials in Afghanistan in an effort to establish whether any other British nationals were involved in the incident.

Local official Ahmed Wali Karzai, the brother of Afghan president Hamid Karzai, said a foreign contractor had been shipping fuel supplies in the area.

UPDATE at the Australian

KANDAHAR: British military officials are investigating reports that security contractors from Britain were among the victims of a suicide car bombing in southern Afghanistan.

By Ben Farmer in Kabul
Published: 8:18AM BST 16 Apr 2010

Original Here

Early reports had suggested Britons were killed in the attack on Thursday evening, but the provincial governor said 12 hours later on Friday morning that only Afghans had died.

Three Americans and one south African were injured and sources said a Briton had been wounded but was not in a serious condition. The wounded were being treated in the nearby Nato hospital at Kandahar airfield.

The 9pm blast struck a compound housing the offices of the international contracting company Louis Berger Group, the Afghanistan Stabilization Initiative and the aid contracting company Chemonics International.

Windows were blown out across the city and it followed hours after another attack against a Kandahar hotel which wounded eight.

Tooryalai Wesa, governor, said there had been no claim of responsibility for the bombing, which according to some reports involved a fuel tanker.

The vehicle got past a security gate, before detonating at a second in the high security compound.

Nato forces are preparing for a major operation this summer in Kandahar — the largest city in the Taliban-ridden south and the birthplace of the hardline Islamist movement.

April 16, 2010 Posted by | Civilian Contractors | , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment