Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

BBC reporter killed in Afghanistan suicide attack

Associated Press

LONDON—The BBC says one of its reporters has died in an insurgent attack in Afghanistan that killed at least 17 people.

The broadcaster says that Ahmad Omid Khpolwak was killed in Thursday’s suicide attack in the southern Uruzgan province.

Afghan authorities said the attack left at least 17 people dead.

Please see the original here

BBC says the stringer was 25 years old and joined the network in 2008.

Three suicide bombers blew up vehicles packed with explosives in three almost simultaneous attacks in Uruzgan. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the assaults.

July 28, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Journalists | , , , , , | Leave a comment

In Libya, 4 journalists detained, 3 missing, one killed

Committee to Protest Journalists March 20, 2011

New York, March 20, 2011–Al-Jazeera said today that Libyan authorities have been holding four of its journalists in Tripoli for several days, while Agence-France Presse reported that two of its journalists and a third journalist are missing in eastern Libya.

On Saturday, the founder and manager of a Libyan online broadcaster was killed by gunfire while reporting from a battle outside Benghazi.

The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns the ongoing attacks on the press in Libya, and calls on authorities to immediately release all journalists in custody.

In a statement, Al-Jazeera said that correspondents Ahmed Vall Ould Addin and Lotfi al-Messaoudi, and cameramen Kamel Atalua and Ammar al-Hamdan, were detained by Libyan authorities as they reported on the conflict from western Libya. The Al-Jazeera statement did not specify the date of the detentions, but managers told CPJ they occurred a few days ago.

The Qatar-based news channel said it holds Qaddafi’s regime responsible for the safety and well-being of the four journalists and called on authorities to release them without delay. News of the detentions comes as U.S. and European forces have begun waging airstrikes against Qaddafi’s military in an effort to impose a U.N.-approved no-fly zone.

On Tuesday, Libyan authorities detained four New York Times journalists. Saif al-Islam Qaddafi, son of leader Muammar Qaddafi, told ABC’s Christiane Amanpour in an interview last week that the four Times journalists would be released shortly. No further developments have been reported, however.

At least six local journalists who spoke critically of government policies remain missing amid wide speculation that they are in the custody of forces loyal to Qaddafi. Three of the six went missing shortly after speaking to Al-Jazeera on the air. Journalists working for the BBC, London’s Guardian, and numerous other media outlets have also been detained for periods of time before being released.

Please read the entire report here

March 20, 2011 Posted by | Journalists, Libya | , , , | Leave a comment