Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

David Quinn of Scotland Civilian Contractor killed in Kabul Suicide Bombing

Herald Scotland  November 1, 2011

THE family of a Scots contractor who was among 13 people who died when a suicide bomber rammed a military convoy in Afghanistan said yesterday they were “heartbroken” after his killing.

Father of one David Quinn, of Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, died in the attack on Saturday along with fellow Briton Stephen Brown, 52.

It was reported Mr Quinn was 34, an electrician, and that he and his wife Jane had a daughter, Sophie.

Friends and family who gathered at Mr Quinn’s home yesterday said they were too upset to talk further of the tragedy.

Five coalition troops and eight civilian contractors were killed in the Kabul attack on Saturday

Please read more here

November 1, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties, Fluor | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Mathew Lemmon Civilian Contractor killed in Kabul Suicide Bombing

WREG Memphis   October 31, 2011

Memphis — Family members are struggling to accept the news that their loved one died in a suicide bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan last week.

Matthew Lemmon, a civillian contractor was onboard a NATO armored bus with military personnel and other contractors. Lemmon was working on air conditionning units in Kabul.

Authorities say a bomber drove a car loaded with explosives into the bus.

Sandy Lemmon, says her only comfort is that her son died quickly, and that he’s with God. She wants her grandchildren, and others to know how giving her son was, and how devoted he was to his church.

Lemmon’s body was brought back to the US, funeral arrangements are not yet complete

Please click here to see the original and view the video

November 1, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties, Fluor | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Kabul Suicide Bomber Kills Eight (Nine), Taliban says Blackwater Head Target

Saturday January 29 10 am

the city police chief’s office said Saturday that while there were foreigners among the wounded, only Afghans died.

UPI 10 pm

killed nine people Friday, including five foreign women and a child, Afghan authorities said.

A senior Afghan official said four of the dead were Afghans and four were Filipino women. At least 17 people were hurt.

6:30 pm est

KABUL—Two Canadians were among 15 people injured in a deadly suicide blast that ripped through an upscale Afghan supermarket on Friday, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.

3:37 pm est

Fifteen other people were wounded, including a Briton, a Canadian and three Filipinos, he said.

Four foreign women and one man died in the blast, said Mohammad Zahir, the chief of criminal investigation for the Kabul police. Among the Afghans killed was a young child, he said. Fifteen other people were wounded.

Embassy says reports of 2 American deaths premature
January 28, 2011 12:53 EST

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A U.S. Embassy spokeswoman in Afghanistan says no Americans have been identified yet among the eight people killed today by a suicide bomber in a grocery store in the Afghan capital.

Initial reports said two Americans were among those killed, but the embassy says those reports were premature.

Officials say the victims included five foreigners. The attack took place in a high-end grocery in a heavily-guarded district of Kabul that is home to many diplomats and Westerners.

The American embassy said: “Numerous innocent Afghan and international civilians were killed and wounded in this senseless act.

Afghan intelligence officials said four Filipinos and two Afghans were confirmed among the dead when a lone gunman opened fire, threw at least one grenade and then detonated his explosive harness.

Number of killed raised to nine

The powerful blast killed at least 8 people including three western women who were shopping in the store at the time and injured six.

Sayed Kabir Amiri, the Kabul hospitals chief, said five people were treated in emergency rooms and eight others admitted. At least three foreign men, he added, were among the injured.

Taliban claim responsibility for attack, which kills eight people near British embassy, including up to three foreigners

Guardian UK

An attack by a suicide bomber on a busy Kabul supermarket close to the British embassy has killed eight people, including one child and wounded six, including up to three foreigners.

Afghan security officials were still removing bodies from the upmarket Finest supermarket in the Afghanistan capital’s diplomatic neighbourhood as distraught relatives waited for news.

Kabul’s police chief, Mohammad Ayub Salangi, confirmed claims by witnesses that today’s attack was carried out by a single suicide bomber.

In a text message sent to the Guardian and other media organisations the Taliban‘s spokesman claimed responsibilty for the blast, saying they were targeting the “head of Blackwater company in Afghanistan”. There is no confirmation that any employee of the private US security contractor, now know as Xe Services, was in the shop at the time.

A supermarket worker, who had been packing customers’ shopping, said he heard two grenades being thrown on the ground. He initially thought were falling glass bottles but when he saw they were grenades he sprinted out the front door seconds before the blasts, which were followed by the main explosion of the suicide bomb.

January 28, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Blackwater, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties, Safety and Security Issues, Xe | , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment