Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

Private Security Firms Poaching Elite Troops

Sky News   March 17, 2012

A boom in recruitment by security firms guarding ships against Somali pirates has caused a stream of troops to leave elite units for lucrative contracts in the private sector.

The loss of veterans of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, particularly corporals and sergeants, “rips the skeleton” from the bodies of units like the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment, the commander of 3 Commando during the Falklands War, Julian Thompson, has warned.

According to Ministry of Defence figures, 570 Royal Marines and 170 members of 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the Parachute Regiment left the forces between 2009 and 2011.

Even though the figure for the Marines includes those who were medically discharged, the rate at which elite soldiers from both units have been leaving is around double the average.

Among the Marines, the MoD admitted, the bulk of those leaving voluntarily were senior privates, corporals and sergeants. These non-commissioned officers lead sections of around eight men, or platoons of around 30. They are responsible for life-and-death tactical decisions during fighting.

No definite data is available on what soldiers do when they leave the services but senior officers have been deeply concerned about the losses of experienced troops to the private security companies for more than a year.

“Anecdotally, between 1st June 2011 and 30th November 2011, 54 soldiers from 3 Para have applied for Premature Voluntary Release. Of these, 24 have claimed they were seeking work in the private security industry,” an MoD source said.

Please see the original and read more here

March 17, 2012 Posted by | Civilian Contractors, Maritime Security, Pirates, Private Security Contractor | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

500 hidden victims of terror war-UK

by Chris Hughes the Mirror UK

New probe into MoD’s contractors

The Ministry of Defence has suffered twice as many deaths in the war against terror than have previously been reported.

There have officially been 524 deaths of troops and civilians working for the MoD in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts since 9/11 in 2001. But a shocking report will claim there have also been more than 500 unreported deaths – all civilian contractors paid for by the MoD.

Last night a top British military source said: “It is terribly sad so many civilians have been killed while working for the MoD and they should be remembered.

“Most were foreign workers but contracted by the MoD nevertheless, and part of the budgeted force level in both war zones of Afghanistan and Iraq.”

Even though they are largely Afghan, Indian and Iraqi, they were employed by the MoD and counted as part of the UK military force in both countries.

And these figures do not count the hundreds of ex-military Brits killed while working in the private security sector in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In the case of Afghanistan many work for a company called Supreme, which supplies food and fuel and bills itself as providing “global service solutions”.

But Supreme, according to a military source, are actually contracted by the MoD. Our source added: “Whether they are employed by the MoD or sub-contracted by Supreme is semantics. The MoD is paying them and their deaths should be recorded in public.”

The report, by Andrew Higginson for think-tank the Royal United Services Institute, discusses the number of personnel deployed to the Afghanistan war zone – Operation Herrick, and Iraq – Operation Telic.

It says: “The force level for Operation Herrick in the area of operations is in the region of 10,000 military personnel. “And there are also 6,500 contracted personnel, making a total of 16,500. Analysis by the author for the Aerospace, Defence and Security Trade Association shows that 500 contracted employees on MoD contracts on Operations Telic and Herrick have been killed since 2003.”

The MoD said last night: “Providing support to international military operations is an inherently risky business and sadly one that can lead to the loss of life.

“This is vital work and requires a range of professionals both internationally and locally employed to deliver. As part of the contracting process, interested companies are aware of the risks involved in delivering on contracts in hostile environments.” Please see the original article here

November 29, 2010 Posted by | Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties | , , , | Leave a comment

DynCorp International receives notice to proceed on contract to support Afghan Ministry of Defense

FALLS CHURCH, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)-DynCorp International (DI) today announced that it has received a notice to proceed on its contract with the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM) to assist the Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan (CSTC-A) and NATO Training Mission (NTM) by providing mentors and trainers to develop the Afghanistan Ministry of Defense (MOD).

The contract was initially awarded in February 2010 and has a two year base period with an estimated value of $157.8 million, including a 60-day phase-in period to full performance. The total potential contract value is estimated to be $232.4 million, if the one year option period is exercised.

Under this Afghanistan Ministry of Defense Program Support contract, DI will provide dedicated in-depth mentoring, training, subject matter expertise, and programmatic support to CSTC-A staff and the Afghanistan MOD. The program supports development of organizational capacity and capability to assist Afghanistan MOD and Afghan National Army (ANA) forces in assuming full responsibility for their own security needs. DynCorp International will provide an estimated 275 qualified personnel to support the CSTC-A staff across numerous functional areas.

October 7, 2010 Posted by | Afghanistan, Contract Awards, DynCorp | , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment