Overseas Civilian Contractors

News and issues relating to Civilian Contractors working Overseas

USAID officer killed in Afghanistan

Information about the slain interpreter was not available.

US aid worker killed in Afghanistan was former Prince George’s County planner

WASHINGTON — A U.S. government aid worker killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan was a former master planner for Prince George’s County.

Forty-three-year-old Ragaei Abdelfattah was killed Wednesday in the eastern Kunar province along with three coalition service members and an Afghan civilian.

The Washington Post (http://tinyurl.com/8ow2c7k ) reports that Abdelfattah was a native of Egypt and a naturalized American citizen who came to love the United States. He was married and had two teenage sons from a previous marriage.

In addition to his work for Prince George’s County, Abdelfattah spent five years with the Maryland-National Capital Parks and Planning Commission.

His wife, Angela Ruppe, says Abdelfattah was fulfilled by the development work he was doing in Afghanistan.

Huffington Post  August 10, 2012

A suicide bomber in eastern Afghanistan killed three troops, a U.S. aid worker and an Afghan interpreter on Wednesday, CNN reported.

According to the Department of Defense, the attack occurred when an insurgent detonated a suicide vest in Sarkowi, Kunar Province.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. Kevin J. Griffith, 45, the senior enlisted soldier of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division from Fort Carson, Colo., died in the explosion. Also killed were Army Maj. Thomas E. Kennedy, 35, of West Point, N.Y., Air Force Maj. Walter D. Gray, 38, of Conyers, Ga., and USAID Foreign Service Officer Ragaei Abdelfattah.

Several troops were also injured in the attack, but details were not released.

A 24-year Army veteran, Griffith had been deployed to Afghanistan in March after serving three tours in Iraq. He was posthumously awarded a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart, the Casper Star Tribune reported.

Kennedy joined the Army in 2000 and also received the Bronze Star. At the time of his death, he was serving on his third deployment, including two tours in Iraq.

Gray was an Air Liaison Officer and flight commander
attached to Fort Carson through the 93rd Air Ground Operations Wing at Moody Air Force Base, the Colorado Springs Gazette reported. Although commissioned as an officer in 1997, he was previously an enlisted Airman and one of the Air Force’s first career Air Liaison Officers.

Abdelfattah recently began his second voluntary tour in Afghanistan to continue supporting the country’s stability and long-term development.

“With the work of people such as Ragaei, the civilian surge we launched in Afghanistan in 2009 has made a tremendous impact, strengthening the capacity of the Afghan Government and laying a foundation for long-term sustainable development. Though we are shocked and saddened by this loss and will miss Ragaei, our efforts will continue,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.

Information about the slain interpreter was not available.

Associated Press at Sacbee    August 9, 2012

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration says a U.S. government aid worker was killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton condemned Wednesday’s attack by two men wearing suicide vests in the eastern Kunar province.

Clinton’s statement said USAID foreign service officer Ragaei Abdelfattah, three coalition service members and an Afghan civilian were killed. A State Department diplomat was injured.

August 9, 2012 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Casualties, Safety and Security Issues, State Department, USAID | , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

BBC reporter killed in Afghanistan suicide attack

Associated Press

LONDON—The BBC says one of its reporters has died in an insurgent attack in Afghanistan that killed at least 17 people.

The broadcaster says that Ahmad Omid Khpolwak was killed in Thursday’s suicide attack in the southern Uruzgan province.

Afghan authorities said the attack left at least 17 people dead.

Please see the original here

BBC says the stringer was 25 years old and joined the network in 2008.

Three suicide bombers blew up vehicles packed with explosives in three almost simultaneous attacks in Uruzgan. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the assaults.

July 28, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Journalists | , , , , , | Leave a comment

Civilian Contractor Wounded in Afghan Suicide Attack

This is it so far, and we usually do not get this much information on Contractor Casualties

From Nashville Public Radio

The four were from all from the 101st Sustainment Brigade, so-called “Lifeliners.” A commander’s message on Facebook “to the Lifeliner Family” says one other soldier with the group died. He says eight more were wounded, along with a civilian contractor, four Afghan soldiers and an interpreter.

April 20, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Civilian Contractors, Contractor Casualties | , , , | Leave a comment

Suicide bomber attacks Afghan military base, Five foreign Soldiers killed

Update CNN

Official: 5 troops killed in Afghanistan bombing are all Americans

CNN) — Five troops killed in a suicide bombing this weekend at a military base in eastern Afghanistan were members of the U.S. Army’s 101st Airborne Division, a senior U.S. military official said Sunday.

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) — A suicide bombing Saturday at a military base in eastern Afghanistan killed five foreign soldiers, according to the International Security Assistance Force.

The attack, according to an ISAF spokesman, was the worst in some time.

“A suicide bomber blew himself up at FOB (Forward Operating Base) Gamberi in Laghman Province,” the spokesman said. “There is reporting that indicates he (the bomber) was inside the base.”

The spokesman said the attack occurred during a meeting between Afghan soldiers and ISAF mentors.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mojahed claimed 12 foreign soldiers and four Afghan military service members died in the attack. He said the bomber, Abdul Ghani, “joined the Afghan National Army a month ago in order to kill the invaders.”

The ISAF spokesman said he was unable to provide further details about the attack and referred requests for more detailed information to the Afghan Ministry of Defense. The Laghman Province base is controlled by the Afghan National Security Forces, the spokesman said.  Please read the entire article here

April 16, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, ISAF | , , , | 1 Comment

Kabul shopping mall hit by suicide attack

By Hashim Shukoor McClatchey

KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide attacker blew himself up in the entrance of a Kabul shopping mall on Monday, killing two and injuring two others according to security officials.

“Two guards of the shopping mall have been killed and two others injured,” said Gen. Ayoub Salangi, Kabul’s police chief.

The incident happened at the entrance gate of the western-style shopping center in downtown Kabul. The attacker detonated his explosives vest after he tried to enter the shopping mall but faced resistance from the guards.

“I was inside the building when I heard security guards saying a suicide attacker came,” Mohammad Rasoul, the shopping mall manager said.

“There was only one attacker. Our security guard opened fire on him and he detonated his explosive,” said Rasoul, who himself received minor shrapnel injuries in his right hand.

“I was in the shop when I first heard firing. It lasted for about five minutes, then I heard the explosion,” said Mohammd Arif, a 20-year-old who works in a sweet-selling shop next the mall.

Zabiullah Mujahid, the Taliban spokesman, has claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message sent to the media.

Two security guards for the shopping mall were killed and two others injured, according to a statement issued from the interior ministry.

February 14, 2011 Posted by | Afghanistan, Private Security Contractor, Safety and Security Issues | , , , , | Leave a comment

Afghan suicide attack targets ISAF Contractors

Ten foreigners were injured and two Afghans killed when a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle full of explosives at the entrance to a compound housing international aid companies in Kandahar.

UPDATE:

Briton Injured in Deadly Carbomb attack in Afghanistan

A British man has been injured in a fatal car bomb explosion on a compound in Afghanistan, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

Three internationals and three Afghanis were killed in the explosion in Kandahar. It is understood they had been working as contractors for the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

“The nationalities of all the casualties are not yet clear but one of those injured was British. We understand his injuries were not severe and that he did not require hospital treatment,” a spokesperson for the Foreign Office said.

Early reports suggest a car bomb detonated inside a compound housing foreign contractors, killing a number of people.

A spokesperson from ISAF said ten people were injured in the blast and are currently being treated at a nearby hospital.

The Foreign Office said it was in contact with officials in Afghanistan in an effort to establish whether any other British nationals were involved in the incident.

Local official Ahmed Wali Karzai, the brother of Afghan president Hamid Karzai, said a foreign contractor had been shipping fuel supplies in the area.

UPDATE at the Australian

KANDAHAR: British military officials are investigating reports that security contractors from Britain were among the victims of a suicide car bombing in southern Afghanistan.

By Ben Farmer in Kabul
Published: 8:18AM BST 16 Apr 2010

Original Here

Early reports had suggested Britons were killed in the attack on Thursday evening, but the provincial governor said 12 hours later on Friday morning that only Afghans had died.

Three Americans and one south African were injured and sources said a Briton had been wounded but was not in a serious condition. The wounded were being treated in the nearby Nato hospital at Kandahar airfield.

The 9pm blast struck a compound housing the offices of the international contracting company Louis Berger Group, the Afghanistan Stabilization Initiative and the aid contracting company Chemonics International.

Windows were blown out across the city and it followed hours after another attack against a Kandahar hotel which wounded eight.

Tooryalai Wesa, governor, said there had been no claim of responsibility for the bombing, which according to some reports involved a fuel tanker.

The vehicle got past a security gate, before detonating at a second in the high security compound.

Nato forces are preparing for a major operation this summer in Kandahar — the largest city in the Taliban-ridden south and the birthplace of the hardline Islamist movement.

April 16, 2010 Posted by | Civilian Contractors | , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment